I admit that I've taken the Fourth of July for granted. Lots of people paid with their lives and their livelihood to be free from England. Today, we are visiting our son, Justin, in Washington, D.C. and can see the dome of the U.S. Capitol from his apartment. Here are some links appropriate to the holiday:
- The Declaration of Independence and other Charters of Freedom from the National Archives.
- Independence Day explained by Wikipedia.
- John Adams, 7-part HBO miniseries, of which we watched the first two parts in our son's apartment.
- Fourth of July facts from the Library of Congress.
- What does it mean to be an American? Answers from the E Pluribus Unum Overview, part of the Bradley Project on America's National Identity.
- Washington D.C. pastor Mark Batterson talks about the 56-signers of the Declaration of Independence and how they were motivated by their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Heritage Foundation reflects on the meaning of the Declaration of Independence.